RESPONSE PAPER 1 INSTRUCTIONS
Response Paper: The student will write a response in 500–750 words. The paper should be double-spaced in 12 point, Times New Roman, font. The paper should address the assigned prompt.
Tips for a Response Paper:
Part I: A Brief Summary of the Sources Provided
• Identify the author and arguments of the sources provided.
• Provide a brief summary, condensing the content of the sources by highlighting the main ideas.
• Use 1-2 short quotations from the material to support your synthesis.
• Keep the summary objective and factual.
Part II: Your Reaction to the Work
• Focus on responding to the prompt.
• How are the related problems relevant to the overall class?
• How is the work related to problems in our present-day world?
• Do viewing the sources change your ideas on the topic?
• Does using a Christian worldview change the way the sources are evaluated?
• Proof-read your work. Avoid common spelling and grammar mistakes, and avoid passive voice.
• Make sure each major paragraph presents and develops a single main point.
• Organize your material.
• Cite paraphrased and quoted material.
Week 3 Prompt:
Using Reading and Study resources for Week 3, and the suggested sources below, assess how the Great Migration shaped African American churches, as millions of African Americans moved North and West out of the South, and how, in turn, these church communities influenced the culture and politics of bourgeoning urban communities.
Recommended sources include: (links are included in the Reading and Study Module 3 in Blackboard).
1. Carter Woodson, The History of the Negro Church, The Associated Publishers: Washington D.C., 1921. https://docsouth.unc.edu/church/woodson/woodson.html
Suggested reading includes Chapter XIV, “The Recent Growth of the Negro Church.”
2. African American Religious History: A Documentary Witness, Durham, N.C.: Duke University Press, 2000. https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.ezproxy.liberty.edu/lib/liberty/reader.action?docID=3007887&query=
Suggested reading includes the following excerpts from Chapter V, “From the Great Migration to World War II.” To access this, follow the link provided in blackboard, and then click on Chapter V in the table of contents.
38- “African Methodist Episcopal Council of Bishops: Address on the Great Migration”
39- “Letters on the Second Exodus: ‘Dear Mary’ and ‘My Dear Sister'”
40- “Social Work at Olivet Baptist Church”