Information Systems homework help. SCI2020 Final Project
Week 11, Thursday at 11:59 pm ET.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide the opportunity to review material and have additional practice utilizing many of the concepts covered during this course.
Below you will find general information about Louise plus you may find additional information at the beginning of each question. Use this information, your textbook, and other information discussed during this class to answer the following 10 questions. You should use complete sentences, appropriate exercise physiology terms, correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar in your answers.
Louise is an active 70 year old, is 5’4”, and 130 pounds. She currently lives in Leadville, CO (10,150 feet in elevation) with her husband, Jack, and two dogs. She has always liked to bicycle, but recently decided to compete in the 40K cycling event at the National Senior Games held in June in Birmingham, AL.
- Although Louise is generally in good health, she does have a few issues with her bones and joints. She has mild osteoarthritis in her knees and was just recently told by her doctor that she has osteopenia. What might have caused Louise to develop these two conditions and what are appropriate treatments for each one? (5 pts)
- As a cyclist, which type of energy metabolism (anaerobic or aerobic) does Louise use primarily as she is riding her bike? In 2-3 paragraphs outline what type(s) of energy source she uses (carbohydrates, proteins, fats) and follow these sources through each step of the appropriate energy pathways. (10 pts)
- Louise is interested in learning more about anatomy and how her muscles work. Help her out by listing all the muscles Louise uses as she is riding her bike and describing the action(s) for each muscle you listed. (15 pts)
- Unfortunately, Louise tripped over one of her dogs as they were out for a walk and she sprained her ankle. What would you recommend for her to do to treat her sprained ankle? (3 pts)
- Discuss how the fact that Louise lives in Leadville, CO and will be competing in Birmingham, AL might affect her 40K cycling competition. Be sure to mention specific physiological changes in your answer. (10 pts)
- Louise is a little worried about competing in the heat and humidity of Alabama. Give her at least 3 suggestions on ways she can prevent heat illness. (5 pts)
- Louise has gotten a clean bill of health so far, but has a very strong family history of heart disease. Provide Louise with at least 4 suggestions of lifestyle choices she can make to help her prevent heart disease. (5 pts)
- Louise’s husband, Jack, is 5’10” tall and weighs 218 pounds. Is Jack at a healthy body weight? If not, provide him with at least 3 suggestions for healthy weight loss. (7 pts)
- Louise usually cycles for 1-2 hours, 3 days a week; hikes or walks with her dogs and husband daily for 30-60 minutes; and does yoga or other flexibility exercises 2 days a week.
- Discuss how well Louise does currently at meeting general recommendations for exercise. (5 pts)
- Create a weekly exercise/training plan for Louise that will help her meet her competition goals and health needs. Her exercise plan needs to include components of muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and aerobic exercise, should meet or exceed the general guidelines for each type of exercise, and be mindful of some of her physical problems mentioned in previous questions. Your plan should be very specific as to type(s) of exercises, frequency, intensity, and time. (15 pts)
- Calculate the number of calories Louise will burn in a typical week of exercise using METs. Look up the MET value for each activity using the following website Compendium for Physical Activities. (5 pts)
- Louise knows that eating a healthy diet and being well hydrated might help her with her cycling competition and some of her other health issues. Create a diet and hydration plan for Louise. Your answer should include specific types of foods to help her fuel her body and a general eating plan to compliment her exercise/training plan you created in Question 9. You should also include fluid intake. You do not need to figure out the exact number of calories or specific serving sizes for your plan; simply list types of foods and beverages to consume and times of the day to consume them. (15 pts)