Operations Management homework help. SPSS Variables
The assignment objectives this week are to:
- Get SPSS up and running on your computer.
- Learn how to upload a dataset into SPSS.
- Learn how to change the type of variable (for example, nominal to scale).
By successfully completing this assignment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competency:
- Develop quantitative research questions and the associated testable hypotheses based on the key variables and relationships contained in a theoretical framework.
Step 1: SPSS Readiness
University provides access to required SPSS software. Please make it a priority to have full software readiness (all download, installation, and activation steps completed) in Unit 1.
For expectations on this software procurement and scope for successfully downloading, see the SPSS Procurement and Preparedness study in Unit 1.
Step 2: SPSS Fundamentals
Like any software, SPSS takes time to learn and can be a bit confusing until you have explored the main menus and features. To gain familiarity, complete the following:
- Open your SPSS software, pull down the Help menu, and click Topics(title may vary depending on the software version).
- Your browser should open automatically after you have clicked the Topics option and take you to the SPSS Help
- Read the tutorials on:
- Variable names and variable labels in dialog box lists.
- Data Editor (all subsections).
- Data files (all subsections).
- Data type, measurement level, and variable list icons.
Step 3: Download Textbook Author Datasets
Go to the Sage Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics Companion Website (linked in the Resources) to download the SPSS data.zip file:
- Click the Student Resources
- Click Datasetson the left sidebar.
- Click the Andy Field’s Datasetslink to download the SPSS data.zip file and save it to your computer.
- Save the entire folderin a place where you can find it, both now and in upcoming units.
- This zip file contains numerous datasets, several of which you will use throughout the course.
Step 4: Upload Dataset Into SPSS and Explore the Data
Go to the Menu in SPSS, then to File > Open > Data. Then, navigate textbook publisher SPSS data folder that you downloaded to your computer.
- Import the data file, SAQ (Item 3 Reversed).sav.
- Look at the Dataview and Variable
- Expand the size of the Label column under the Variableview to see the questions used in this instrument, which used a Likert-type 5-point scale.
- Change all ordinal variablesto SCALE in SPSS.
- Save your .sav file with the file name, YourLastName_U1.sav (for example, Smith_U1.sav).
Step 5: Submit the Assignment
- Read the assignment scoring guide to ensure that you meet all criteria.
- Submit your YourLastName_U1.savdata file to the Unit 1 Assignment.