As college students, it is crucial to first care for yourself before you can perform necessary duties and responsibilities. This includes proper sleeping, eating, working, and playing. In this lesson you will analyze six areas of your life and identify the areas in which you are strong and those you would like to pay extra attention to developing. Then you will choose specific activities you will incorporate into your life to improve your overall sense of well-being.
Self-care is intended to create a better, stronger, more whole YOU so that you can achieve and accomplish everything you want to do. We all have a “tank” that fuels us throughout each day. Just like with a vehicle, when this tank is empty, it is difficult to continue moving. Have you heard the saying, “running on fumes?” This does not only apply to vehicles, it also applies to your body and your life. You have the tools to keep your tank full, but using those tools take a conscious decision and plan to do so.
There are six areas of your life to attend to:
When these areas are in balance, you will function at a higher level of peace and satisfaction with less stress and anxiety to interfere. However, when the six areas are out of balance you feel like you are rolling down the road on a broken wheel.
1. Download and print the Self-Care Assessment at the link below. Follow the instructions on the page to complete this activity.
SELF-CARE ASSESSMENT (LINK)
- Now that you have identified the areas of your life that need some extra attention, identify and complete an activity to create more balance in your life. For instance, choose one of the following activities to complete
– Walk or Jog (15-20 mins)
– Practice Yoga (15-20 mins)
– Pray or mediate (15-20 mins
– Breathing exercises (10 mins)
-No Technology (1-2 hours)
– Sleep (7-8 hours)
– Eat two-three services of fruits or vegetables (1 day)
– Listen to the music or the environment (10 mins)
– DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR 10-15 MINS
* Please be sure to select an activity that is reflective of your self-care assessment.
- After you have completed the first two steps, write a 150-250 words discussing the areas of your life which cause you to be unbalanced; what activity you chose to complete and if it assisted with creating balance; and finally explain the importance of self-care to you and other college students.
- Lastly, I thank you for the sacrifice it takes to mentally, physically and emotionally stay strong despite the significant obstacles and challenges you are facing during this national crisis. You guys are warriors and your strength and perseverance to complete your education at such a times as this is inspiring.